Senior Moves provides senior move management services in the Sarasota, Florida area. Often, we are hired when a member of the family has had a health crisis and there is an unexpected and rather urgent need to move. Senior Moves encourages planning ahead of time and it is a topic we discuss with people on a regular basis. Planning also reduces stress for everyone involved in a family member’s health and well being.
Studies show that up to 80% of strokes can be prevented by working closely with your healthcare provider and managing your risk factors. These 10 tips from the National Stroke Association can add more years to your life and more life to your years.
- Stay active. Increased physical activity will assist with weight loss, reduce your cholesterol levels, and keep your arteries clear of blockages.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking doubles your risk for stroke by weakening blood vessels and increasing your blood pressure.
- Eat a healthy. Cutting back on saturated fats and increasing your fruit and vegetable intake, will help you lose weight, clear your blood vessels and put less strain on your circulatory system.
- Have your cholesterol level checked regularly. Becoming more aware of your cholesterol will help you understand your risk for stroke and the effect diet has on your levels.
- Limit alcohol use. Alcohol can raise your blood pressure and harden your arteries.
- Control your diabetes. Increased blood sugar can lead to high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Excess weight will strain your circulatory system, increase your blood pressure, and put you at a higher risk for diabetes.
- Monitor your blood pressure. Be aware of your blood pressure and have it treated if it is too high. High blood pressure greatly increases your chances of having a stroke.
- Know your family history. If there is a history of stroke in your family, your chances of having one is higher.
- Talk to your health care provider. Your health care provider can help you map out an effective way to apply these prevention techniques to your daily life.